James Nelson Memorial Scholarship Contest
Madison Ridgeland Rotary Club Annual Essay Contest
The Madison Ridgeland Rotary Club is sponsoring our annual Jimmy Nelson Memorial Rotary Scholarship contest. In general, the Madison-Ridgeland Rotary Club annually awards a $1,000 scholarship to a graduating senior from one of the Madison-Ridgeland area schools.
As a service club, the Madison-Ridgeland Rotary club uses this scholarship to encourage students to look for opportunities to serve their community. It also seeks to make them aware of the rewards that come from this service. The scholarship is awarded based on a short essay. The student essays will be judged by a panel of Rotarians who will only know the essayist as "Student A," "Student B", etc. Any graduating senior continuing their education is eligible for this scholarship. It may be used toward any four-year, two-year or vocational college of the student's choice.
Rules for the essay must be followed closely:
Madison-Ridgeland Rotary ClubP O Box 696Ridgeland MS 39158
- The essay title is "The Importance of Being an Active Member in a Community Service Club."
- Essay should be no more than 750 words, typed, double-spaced and with page numbers on each page.
- The cover page should include student's name, address, phone number and name of school. It should also list personal community activities within the last two years. A current resume may be substituted.
- Please include two copies of the essay and one copy of the cover page
- Essays must be received by the Madison-Ridgeland Rotary Club no later than 16 April by mail or they may be emailed to the address below no later than 5 PM the same day.
- Please mail to:
The winner will be notified by 30 May and will be expected to attend a club meeting to read his or her essay to the Rotary Club.
Please contact your school counselor if you have any questions.